Suntree Martial Arts Student Policies, Terms & Conditions
Mandatory Water Bottle Policy
Our water cooler is eliminating the use of paper cups in order to reduce our environmental impact.
- Students are required to bring a water bottle to each class and take them home afterward.
They are absolutely welcome to use our water jugs to refill!
Food & Drink Policy
- No food or drinks (besides water) are allowed in the dojo.
Food and drinks must be consumed outdoors and disposed of outdoors in the plaza trashcan.
- “2 Strikes Rule” – Children will be warned one time to stop the undesirable behavior. If a second occurrence happens they will experience a consequence in class determined by the instructor. This may include being removed from the class either temporarily or for the remainder of class and directed to sit in the audience. The below actions are not tolerated:
- Failure to follow clear direction.
- Pushing, shoving, horseplay, or any incident where during transition times they fail to keep their hands to themselves.
- Speaking with disrespect to an instructor or fellow student.
- Lack of focus and excessive silliness during skill-based practice.
- Talking during an instructor’s teaching.
- Bad parental report to our staff (Bad grades, etc.) – We will work with you.
- Lack of Effort.
- Poor Sportsmanship (shouting, crying, bragging etc.).
- Poor Hygiene – Long or dirty finger and toenails, soiled or inappropriate attire, odor etc.
Acceptable Communication Policy
- It is unacceptable to reach out to instructors or staff via text message or personal cell phones regarding student matters. All concerns should be redirected to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for our After School Program students.
- Our students are our priority and those are who our focus is on during business hours.
- For immediate questions needed, please refer to our Facebook page or please try our school number 321-775-3073.
- Please leave a message if necessary and we will get back with you within 24 hours.
While phone calls are appreciated and will be returned, our best form of contact is via email at: info@suntreemartialarts.
All students are expected to attend their scheduled classes at a minimum of two (2) days per week unless otherwise stated. If a student is going to be absent from their scheduled class, it is a proper courtesy to notify the instructors ahead of time or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for attendance-taking purposes rather than being absent without any communication. If a student is missing classes regularly then the family will be contacted to determine the best plan of action to take.
Failure to attend class does not signify or imply notification to cancel one’s membership.
- When a student arrives after a class has begun, they will be required to spend the same amount of time they were late in age-appropriate tasks or consequences:
- Little Giants: Lap of high knees around the dojo (ie., 3 minutes late = 3 laps)
- ROCKids/Krav Kids & Up: Assisting the dojo with cleaning. Ie., Sweeping the foyer, cleaning the mirrors or glass, sanitizing, etc. for that amount of minutes late to class.
- If a student is more than fifteen minutes late then they will not be permitted to join the class and will train independently instead. This is to enforce the standard of respect and courtesy for the instructor, dojo, and fellow students. Please refer to the student handbook on proper courtesy of the dojo regarding student tardiness (ie., bowing in, etc.)
- Advanced communication with the Head Instructor in person or via email at info@suntreemartialarts.
com will not Result in Penalty or Consequence
- Parents with children in the After School Program must contact us by 1:30 pm the day of if their student will not be picked up by the karate vans.
Make Up Policy
The only memberships permitted makeups are the 1 Day/Week Krav Maga membership. These students are allowed to choose any one Krav Maga class in a single week.
This is the only group allowed due to the number of classes included (three days/week) for most other memberships, or the rarity of our Special Needs class, we are unable to provide additional options for missed classes.
Good Communication/Good Vibes Policy
- We request that our families keep us courteously informed on anything we should know so we can best serve our student and the student family. Remember, we care about our student families and want to be in the know! (Ie., upcoming absence, upcoming travel, birthday, sickness, injury/illness, reasonable tardiness, etc.) This can be done via email at email@example.com or in person to our instructors.
- Our dojo is a big family. We have the most wonderful, caring, and kind families we could ask for and we want this spirit to be the signature of Suntree Martial Arts. These families know who they are!
- We ask you to please be a part of this established amazing nature of our school by embracing the staff and instructor-student relationship and being involved. It is very much founded on trust, respect, and courtesy so we wish to reflect the same between the parents and instructors/staff as well. Our instructors are all very personable and caring staff. Please treat each with the consideration and kindness they deserve as your student’s Sensei or Senpai (instructor or junior instructor), so we can kindly model the courteous relationship for our students. A kind smile or a few words go a long way for our young students and sets the example of what they are learning in their training.
- We request that families celebrate and honor testing opportunities with gratitude with their student. When a student is invited to test, it is a very exciting time of much pride and accomplishment to present. It is also an honor for a student to be invited to test, and again, should be treated with gratitude and priority. Thus, as tradition goes, testing is at the discretion of the instructor and should go unchallenged. Testing is to be prioritized and questioned minimally. This is one area our school strictly requires our students to take seriously and prioritize in their schedules. This is purely for tradition’s sake and is an essential part of character development among the training of the student!!
Please refer to the student handbook for further information on testing.
- Negative talk or negative vibes are not embraced or tolerated among our school. If you have a need, please kindly ask our staff. We want to help. If this is a pattern you have noticed, we request you kindly bring it up to the Owner/Head Instructor, Morgan Frechette, or Program Director, Marie Dabbs in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist to resolve or improve upon the issue.
- We are on the same team! Please trust the judgment of the instructors who truly have the best interest of the student in mind. Please do not try to interfere with your child’s training by challenging our instructors, “showing” them concepts they have not learned yet, or other ideas without the Head Instructor’s permission. Please understand that when the family attempts to make decisions for their child’s training instead of honoring the Sensei’s request or natural progress for the student, it oversteps the boundary into the student-instructor relationship and sends an undesirable signal to the student and school.
- Please always feel free to consult us via email at email@example.com, in person, or the instructor on the deck on aspects your student needs assistance with in class!
- Please always ask any questions you may have about how to help the progress of your child! It is always encouraged and appreciated when families help students by initiating practice at home.
*Families overstepping boundaries in a student’s training may receive an email or personal request and clarification from the owner, instructor, or staff. If the actions persist, the school reserves the right to refuse service and dismiss the family permanently from Suntree Martial Arts.
Thank you for helping us help our students!
The nature of martial arts rests upon attributes such as honesty, integrity, character, and effort.
At Suntree Martial Arts, we hold students accountable for taking their disciplined skills learned in martial arts to both school and home.
We want and request for parents to communicate with us (via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person) on both accomplishments and positive news regarding grades and behavior toward parents and other authoritative figures as well as the negative.
We expect our students to carry the learned mannerisms of courtesy, etiquette, and respect to others. We expect for the effort students learn in class to translate to effort in chores and schoolwork alike.
We would like for parents to communicate with us when students are suffering in grades, executing behavioral problem at school, neglecting household duties, or displaying disrespect toward parents or other family members. This is so that we can help further implement the student’s training to target their personal needs.
A student will typically experience a consequence within the dojo when these arise.
Consequences may include temporary belt removal, stripe removal, inability to test, lecturing, essay-writing, rigorous exercises and so on.
Tuition & Fees Timelines
All tuition payments are paid via card on file and auto-paid on the 1st of each month. After School Program students will be auto-paid weekly.
Suntree Martial Arts does not spend unneeded time chasing families for their communication or payments. We have an established nature within Suntree Martial Arts of families being courteous and communicable.
It is the family’s responsibility to ensure that monthly tuition payments are able to be received by the 1st of each month.
- A $10 late fee will be applied if not able to be received by the 5th of the month.
- A $20 late fee will be applied for payments received after the 10th.
- A $15 fee will be applied for any declined payments.
- It is unacceptable for a family to arrive to class and continue their training schedule while avoiding their monthly contribution to the dojo. Good communication regarding payments is absolutely mandatory. Please do not allow payments to become a burden to the staff. Failure to attend class does not signify or imply notification to cancel one’s membership.
- Any accommodations should be discussed promptly with Sensei Morgan Frechette in person or at email@example.com.A phone conversation may be scheduled by calling the school at 321-775-3073.
- Suntree Martial Arts reserves the right to contact additional family members on the account to retrieve payment.
- If a family consistently avoids payment in a method that creates a burden to the administrator, Suntree Martial Arts reserves the right to dismiss the family from the school.
- If communication efforts have not been returned and payments are still outstanding, Suntree Martial Arts reserves the right to turn the account over to collections.
- A phone conversation may be scheduled by calling the school at 321-775-3073.
- Processing Fees: Beginning February 1st, 2019, a 3% fee will be applied to all card transactions to cover processing fees.
We appreciate your understanding, as these easily equate to a huge financial undertaking for the dojo to cover.
- This small percentage will mean but a very low amount for the transactions for the customer while alleviating us as a small business of unnecessary financial strain.
Account Suspensions: As a small business, we have many necessary costs involved and we rely on the consistency of tuition and the contribution to the dojo to operate sustainably. We appreciate your understanding and concern of our students having a great school to train and be a part of for many years to come.
- Some calendar months contain more than four weeks. As such, we do not give breaks in payment during holidays and time off from school when the dojo is closed.
- Billing for both dojo only students as well as After School Program students will be processed each month or week, regardless of breaks in the school calendar, in order to cover the costs of both facilities. The only exception is summer break for After School students.
- During non-summer months, the dojo coincides with the Brevard County school calendar.
- As you are aware, our school does not require the industry-standard “contracts” to sign up. Additionally, our month-to-month no-contract membership is the SAME price as schools who require you to sign up with 3, 6, and 12-month contracts. Most schools would have a rate of around $150/month for a no-contract membership such as ours offer. With that being said, our average-priced and month-to-month membership is a generous benefit that was established to serve as a luxury and form of flexibility for our student families here at SMA.
- Taking a “break” or suspension of a student’s account is permitted at SMA no more than three (3) times per year and will result in applying our standard signup fee of $99 per break and $50 for the second sibling upon return from the break. This choice does affect student progress at times and upcoming testing opportunities will be up to the discretion of the Head Instructor.
- The signup fee does not apply to students who have encountered sickness, illness, injury, or family emergency that forces absence. Because we do not offer contracts, the dojo will be greatly affected financially if several of our students decide to take suspensions around prime times of the year. Any arrangements made otherwise are at the owner’s discretion.
Membership Change Policy Failure to attend class does not signify or imply notification to cancel one’s membership. Membership is non-transferable.
- Important: A 30-day notice of any membership changes must be made in writing or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org of such plans.
- The membership is canceled when all payments and dues within the specified notification period are paid in full. The notification period shall be (30) thirty days. Any arrangements made otherwise are at the Head Instructor/Owner’s discretion. Thank you for understanding and your ongoing support for the dojo. Much of you are aware that this school was founded purely out of passion and the goal of the highest level of training and service to the wonderful families of our community. We LOVE our students and want the absolute best for them! We hope that you will support our efforts under the ideology that martial arts is about honor, integrity, respect, and courtesy to others.
Sensei Morgan Frechette Owner-Operator, Head Instructor
Marie Dabbs After School Program Director
Any arrangements regarding the policies listed above made otherwise are at the owner’s discretion. If a student is underage, parents should review the dojo rules and regulations with the student to ensure that policies are understood.